Job Title: Deaf Housing Coordinator
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Lead Deaf Services Advocate
Salary: $21-22 per hour
Position Overview: This role is dedicated to serving the d/Deaf community through various initiatives, including community outreach, tailored consumer training, resource compilation, and personalized assistance.
- Engages in ongoing outreach to specifically inform the d/Deaf community about housing services offered by DMC;
- Delivers comprehensive training to individuals and groups on effective housing search methods, tailored to the needs of d/Deaf individuals;
- Provides guidance to consumers in understanding housing leases, rental agreements, and application processes, ensuring accessibility for d/Deaf individuals;
- Maintains an up-to-date inventory of accessible and affordable housing complexes in Orange County, developed with the support of HUD and tax incentive funding;
- In partnership with the Housing Program team members:
- cultivates relationships with emergency and transitional shelter operators, fostering connections that benefit the d/Deaf population;
- Offers ADA training to shelter operators to enhance their capacity to accommodate d/Deaf individuals;
- Champions collaboration with developers to expand the availability of affordable housing for seniors and individuals with disabilities within the d/Deaf community;
- Creates and distributes housing packets outlining tenant rights and responsibilities, designed with d/Deaf individuals in mind;
- Generates innovative strategies to diversify housing options for d/Deaf consumers;
- Actively participates in housing coalitions and advisory groups, representing the needs and interests of the d/Deaf community;
- Provides peer advice and support to consumers when appropriate;
- Collaborates closely with Deaf Services Program team members to address Independent Living Skills (ILS), advocacy, and other identified needs;
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the supervisor, contributing to the overall success of the program.
- Proficiency in American Sign Language (ASL) communication and a deep understanding of Deaf culture are essential requirements;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- At least one-year experience working with people, who are d/Deaf or in a field related to housing;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of various housing options and related legislation;
- Experience assisting people through stressful life circumstances by providing stability and coping mechanisms;
- Evidence of computer literacy;
- Working knowledge of the Independent Living philosophy and methodology;
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing;
- Capacity to work independently;
- Ability to perform job functions in a manner that exhibits flexibility, consistency, and professionalism;
- Demonstrated capacity to work under pressure and cope with mental and emotional stress relevant to the position and the work environment;
- Ability to establish and maintain trustful, effective working relationships with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds;
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License, state identification card, and car insurance or evidence of reliable mode of transportation.
- Communicates in a clear, timely, and respectful manner;
- Demonstrates professionalism during work activities;
- Contributes to positive, supportive workplace interactions;
- Provides consumer-driven services in alignment with Independent Living Philosophy;
- Enters service data in a timely and accurate manner;
- Follows through on assigned tasks and due dates;
- Maintains a collaborative approach and works effectively as part of a team;
- Receptive to and willing to implement constructive feedback;
- Takes responsibility for communicating issues when they arise (and addressing them when able);
- Proactively shares feedback, ideas, and suggestions for organizational growth;
- Maintains attendance, punctuality, and other performance standards as outlined in DMC’s Employee Handbook.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Normal office temperature-controlled conditions with quiet to moderate noise level and little to no exposure to heat, dust, or fumes. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position working at a desk; operate a computer and other office machinery including printer, copier, and telephone; move about inside the office to access office machinery; exchange information with coworkers and the public; and may need to lift or move up to 10 pounds. These functions may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Diversity / Inclusion:
The Dayle McIntosh Center is committed to maintaining a culture of diversity and inclusion and seeks to be representative of the communities we serve, including minorities and individuals with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. DMC welcomes the unique contributions that employees bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs. DMC does not and will not discriminate on the basis of these or any protected category in any of its activities or operations.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
By signing below, I am acknowledging that I am able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodations. I have received a copy of this job description. I understand that I am to become familiar with my job description’s contents. Further, I understand that signing this document does not constitute a contract of employment with DMC.
|Executive Director Signature:||Date:|
|Human Resources Signature:||Date:|