***Please visit Jobs – Tri-County Independent Living (TCIL) (tilinet.org) to apply for this position***
INDEPENDENT LIVING SPECIALIST
As a federally-funded Independent Living Center, TCIL is mandated to be
comprised primarily of people with disabilities. This mandate requires that at
least 51% of the Board of Directors be people with disabilities.
TCIL Philosophy: Individuals with disabilities are best able to determine their
own needs and make their own service choices. Through role modeling and peer
counseling, they become empowered to make changes in their lives becoming
more self-sufficient and self-reliant.
Line of Authority/Supervision: Program Coordinator; Executive Director
Status: Full -Time, up to 40 hours/wk; Non-Exempt; may include occasional
evenings and weekends; may be filled as Part-Time position
Benefits: For Full-Time: Holidays, vacation, medical and dental benefits, sick leave,
AFLAC self-pay insurance option. For Part-Time: see Personnel Policies –
some benefits offered on a pro-rated basis, depending on hours.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Provides information and referrals regarding resources for disability
services. Performs needs assessments, supports clients to develop and
implement Independent Living Plans with a focus on serving un-served,
underserved or under-represented segments of the disability community.
Provides personal assistant referral services through TCIL PARS program.
Serves the cross-disability community in Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity
counties. Provides outreach and public education regarding independent
living services and resources.
- Conduct client intake and service needs assessment. Provide core
services: information & referral, peer support, independent living skills
training, transitions, personal assistant referral services, AT referral and
individual and systems advocacy.
- Help clients develop Independent Living Plans and goals and services to
support achieving those goals. Provide other direct client services
ILS Sp. Rev 4/20/2023 1
including (but not limited to) mentoring, teaching core skills and
- In addition to serving all individuals with disabilities, focus on serving
un-served, underserved or under-represented people in the disability
- Monitor and follow up with clients’ progress. regularly update client
service records and case notes; maintain agency record keeping
systems, prepare periodic statistical reports. Collect required
demographic information from callers and clients.
- Maintain absolute client confidentiality absent a release or written waiver
from the client.
- Provide personal assistant referral services through the TCIL Personal
Assistant Referral Services Program and/or the ADRC (no wrong
- Participate in trainings, agency meetings, events, presentations, outreach,
- Develop relationships with referral agencies and educate clients about current
support programs, services, eligibility and referrals that will enhance their
- Other duties as assigned. TCIL is a very small agency and requires all staff
to be flexible, willing and available to do all tasks requested, whether
identified in the position description as an essential duty or responsibility or
not. Perform all duties in accordance with agency’s policies and
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked to
perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance
of the tasks listed in this job description. TCIL has the right to revise this job
description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment.
- Effectively and timely performs functions and responsibilities with attention to
detail, appropriateness, and accuracy.
ILS Sp. Rev 4/20/2023 2
- Meets deadlines and commitments.
- Prioritizes and accomplishes multiple tasks within time constraints.
- Demonstrates initiative and creativity to anticipate and solve problems.
- Complies with TCIL policies and procedures.
- Promotes harmonious and collaborative working relationships; participate
fully as member of working team, conduct agency business in a professional
manner with respect for others’ rights and maintain strict adherence to the
independent living philosophy.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum two years experience in social services or closely related field,
preferably working with people with disabilities in an advocacy setting.
- Degree in social work or closely related field may be substituted for
- General knowledge of Independent Living philosophy.
- Skillful written and verbal communication, ability to respond with patience,
respect, objectivity and nonjudgmental attitude with a broad range of
people from diverse backgrounds.
- Skilled in time management; possessing good organizational and critical
thinking skills and effective analytical, judgment and reasoning abilities.
- Ability to develop advocacy strategies broken into manageable steps.
- Ability to work under supervision, problem-solve and follow clinical protocols
- Proficiency with computer, word processing (Word), Microsoft Office,
MS-Outlook, spreadsheet development (Excel), internet research,
database management, internet search, social media. Experience using
standard office technology and electronic communications including, but
not limited to, the Internet, e-mail and fax.
ILS Sp. Rev 4/20/2023 3
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Ability to effectively communicate and read in English.
- Able to make home visits and travel independently on Agency business
within the three county service area.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills – possess a positive, cooperative, flexible
- Personal experience with a disability.
- Bilingual in English/ASL; English/Spanish
- Familiarity with Independent Living (IL) philosophy and history, IL’s core
values of Inclusiveness, Flexibility, Person First, Accountability and Integrity;
and resources, programs and services available for persons with
- Experience working with people with disabilities to achieve employment,
independent living, transitions and/or maximum self-reliance.
- Experience with, or knowledge of, IHHS or personal assistant services.
- Knowledge of financial benefits including SSI/SSDI, ADA, Rehabilitation
Act, Fair Housing Act and other disability law issues regarding rights,
access, employment, discrimination, etc. and local disability and community
resources, programs and services available to persons with disabilities.
Valid California Driver’s License preferred. If driving on Agency business, must
meet Agency Insurer’s qualifications for insurance coverage.
A background check is required for all positions with TCIL as a condition of
employment and may include fingerprinting.
Essential Physical Requirements:
To adequately perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, the duties
and responsibilities of this job, must be able to:
- Sit for up to 8 hours/day with reasonable breaks
- Perform light filing and copying tasks
- Perform with manual dexterity; lift (occasionally up to 30 pounds), sit,
stand, bend, stoop
- Drive a vehicle and travel independently within the 3 county service area
ILS Sp. Rev 4/20/2023 4
- Maintain emotional balance in the presence of stress. The emotional effort
varies but can be challenging. Occasionally there are short deadlines and
periods of high activity/demands. The job entails interacting with persons
with a variety of disabilities and a variety of communication and behavior
styles. Some consumers are facing crisis situations.
All positions subject to funding availability. Employment at TCIL is for no definite
period of time and can be terminated with or without cause and with or without
notice at any time and by either party.Tri-County Independent Living, Inc. is an
equal opportunity employer. All persons having a disability, having personal
experience with disability or committed to disability issues are highly encouraged
to apply. Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request.