Job Title: ILS Instructor for the Blind
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Lead OIB Advocate
Location: North County Office
Salary: $21-23 per hour
Position Overview: Assists blind and visually impaired older consumers to achieve personal adjustment and maximum self-sufficiency through independent living skills training.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Conducts age appropriate intakes with consumers to assess their need or desire for independent living skills training;
- Trains consumers in awareness of physical environment through sense of smell, hearing, and touch, and provides sighted guide training to consumer and/or family members/caregivers;
- Teaches consumers personal and home management skills and communication skills, such as eating, grooming, dressing, coin and money identification, cooking, and use of telephone;
- Provides, or arranges for the provision of, instruction to consumers regarding reading and writing Braille;
- Demonstrates use of low vision and/or blindness related assistive technology devices;
- Communicates with Blind Field Services Counselors for referral and coordination of services for consumers, and provides progress reports;
- Conducts program outreach through attendance at meetings, participation in health fairs, presentations, distribution of marketing materials, etc., to increase awareness of the Aging with Vision Loss Program;
- Enters consumer service records and corresponding data into the agency’s data collection system;
- Other duties as assigned by the program manager.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and one to two years related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires valid California driver’s license and proof of insurance;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively present information and instruction to individuals, or in small group settings;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to perform job functions in a manner that demonstrates flexibility, consistency, and professionalism;
- Demonstrated capacity to cope with mental and emotional stress relevant to the position and the work environment.
- Communicates in a clear, timely, and respectful manner;
- Demonstrates professionalism during work activities;
- Contributes to positive, supportive workplace interactions;
- Provides consumer-driven services in alignment with Independent Living Philosophy;
- Enters service data in a timely and accurate manner;
- Follows through on assigned tasks and due dates;
- Maintains a collaborative approach and works effectively as part of a team;
- Receptive to and willing to implement constructive feedback;
- Takes responsibility for communicating issues when they arise (and addressing them when able);
- Proactively shares feedback, ideas, and suggestions for organizational growth;
- Maintains attendance, punctuality, and other performance standards as outlined in DMC’s Employee Handbook.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Normal office temperature-controlled conditions with quiet to moderate noise level and little to no exposure to heat, dust, or fumes. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position working at a desk; operate a computer and other office machinery including printer, copier, and telephone; move about inside the office to access office machinery; exchange information with coworkers and the public; and may need to lift or move up to 10 pounds.
Diversity / Inclusion:
The Dayle McIntosh Center is committed to maintaining a culture of diversity and inclusion and seeks to be representative of the communities we serve, including minorities and individuals with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. DMC welcomes the unique contributions that employees bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs. DMC does not and will not discriminate on the basis of these or any protected category in any of its activities or operations.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
By signing below, I am acknowledging that I am able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodations. I have received a copy of this job description. I understand that I am to become familiar with my job description’s contents. Further, I understand that signing this document does not constitute a contract of employment with DMC.
|Executive Director Signature:
|Human Resources Signature: