Communities Actively Living Independent and Free (CALIF)
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: 634 S. Spring Street, 2ⁿᵈ Floor Los Angeles, CA 90014
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervision Given: Senior Management, Fiscal Agent and
Salary Including Benefits: $95,000 TO $120,000
Under the guidelines set by the governing Board, the Executive Director oversees the operation of
Communities Actively Living Independent & Free (CALIF), an independent living center serving
Greater Los Angeles. The Executive Director is responsible for developing and administering the
finances, programs, and services of the agency, and for advancing the philosophy and principles of
the Independent Living Movement.
Board of Directors
- Prepares and submits timely reports, recommendations and updates;
- Identifies and recruits candidates for potential membership on the governing board;
- Assists with the pursuit of operational revenues for the agency;
- Implements and administers board approved policies and budget;
- Coordinates board training and strategic planning sessions;
- Assists in the annual agency review process, including the analysis of input from staff,
consumers, community organizations and contractors.
- Assures that the mission of the agency is reflected in all program planning, implementation and
- Monitors compliance with grants, contracts, and regulations, including the preparation of
performance reports and the maintenance of appropriate records;
- Oversees the completion of periodic needs assessments within the agency’s constituency;
- Promotes program expansion into unserved and underserved population/areas.
- In accordance with current employment laws, oversees the implementation of personnel policies
and procedures, including and not limited to: recruitment, hiring, promotion, evaluation, training
- Supervises middle management, the Program Director, Accountant, Volunteer Coordinator and
- Oversees all elements of the organization’s financial system;
- Prepares and administers the annual budget;
- Monitors compliance with established financial controls;
- Reviews monthly statements and reports prior to submittal to the Board of Directors;
- Arranges for independent annual audits;
- Develops and implements correction plans.
- Oversees the development, implementation, modification, and evaluation of an annual resource
- Initiates contact with, and represents the center to potential supporters and donors;
JD-Executive Director 12.01.23 (005) 2
- Assists with efforts to obtain income through grants, contracts, fees, foundations, corporation,
resource development activities and individual donors.
Public Relations and Systems Change
- Works with local, state and national boards and organizations; including travel to further the
Independent Living Movement and the rights of persons with disabilities;
- Participate in community awareness, education and advocacy efforts;
- Represents the center in the media and at public events;
- Acknowledges contributions to the agency and to the independent living movement;
- Reviews promotional materials prior to publication and dissemination
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in nonprofit management or a related field; or other practical
relevant experience such as graduate education.
- Exhibit the ability to formulate and implement procedures, interpret and apply policy, interact
with a wide variety of people, and oversee a complex organization and office environment;
- With or without a reasonable accommodation must be able to demonstrate the ability to:
o Develop and maintain community support systems of, by and for people with disabilities;
o Negotiate grants and contracts;
o Communicate effectively both in writing and orally;
o Compose and present proposals and reports;
o Read, understand and communicate financial information;
o Work effectively with culturally diverse communities and cross-disability groups;
o Provide evidence of sound judgment, analytical ability, resourcefulness and interpersonal skills.
JD-Executive Director 12.01.23 (005) 3
JD-Executive Director 12.01.23 (005) 4
- Demonstrate computer literacy and knowledge of Assistive Technology;
- Exhibit the ability to oversee the design and use of a computer network and management
- Possess personal life experience with a disability;
- Communicate in more than one language, including sign language.
- Experience working in an Independent Living Center (ILC)
*Part or all of this position is grant funded and may be limited by the term or length of the grant.
Because of the purpose of CALIF, it is essential that the individual understand, believe and
practice the Independent Living Philosophy.
CALIF is an equal opportunity employer
Email applications to [email protected]