May 24th, 2023
Salary / Benefits:
$26.00 per hour
CID’s mission is to provide support services, community awareness, and systems change advocacy to promote full and equal community integration and participation for people with disabilities.
The Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is a private, nonprofit corporation located in San Mateo, California. Incorporated in 1979, CID is a consumer- driven, community-based, services and advocacy organization serving San Mateo County and beyond. By federal mandate, the majority of CID’s Staff, Management, and Board of Directors consists of people with disabilities.
CID is one of 25 Independent Living Centers in the State of California and over 400 Independent Living Centers in the United States. We are affiliated with other ILCs through our membership and participation in the California Foundation of Independent Living Centers and the National Council on Independent Living. CID is affiliated with other nonprofit agencies through our membership in the California Association of Non- Profits.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Housing and Economic Empowerment Coordinator is an entry-level, part-time position, responsible for providing an array of services in group and individual settings, including peer counseling, information and referral, and advocacy. The Housing and Economic Empowerment Coordinator supports consumers to search and apply for affordable and accessible housing. The Housing and Economic Empowerment Coordinator helps consumers learn about their options concerning disability and their finances. The Housing and Economic Empowerment Coordinator also maintains relationships with housing organizations and other community organizations that provide services for persons with disabilities in San Mateo County.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Part-time hourly position working up to 25 hours per week.
- Support individual consumers in the process of finding and accessing housing opportunities in the community.
- Create, maintain, and distribute regular housing opportunity list to share with interested parties via email, highlighting housing lotteries, waitlists, and openings.
- Maintain relationships with housing organizations in San Mateo County, including HIP Housing and Project Sentinel.
- Help consumers learn about their options with regards to disability and their finances – whether they are considering or need assistance with applying for benefits like CalFresh, SSI, or SSDI, going or with accessing financial supports from the Core Service system in San Mateo County.
- Maintain up-to-date working knowledge of, and provide information, support, counseling and advocacy for Medicare and MediCal to consumers and through information and referral services.
- Provide service coordination to the cross-disability community, including needs assessment, identification of relevant community resources, and advocacy.
- Collaborate with government agencies and community based organizations to facilitate coordination of services for consumers.
- Work collaboratively as a team member with other CID staff to assist consumers in addressing issues and achieving goals.
- Represent CID at related community meetings, task forces and committees relevant to persons with disabilities.
- Accurately complete and maintain all electronic and paper records required for CID consumer management and grant reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in peer counseling, social services or advocacy setting working with persons with disabilities strongly preferred.
- Personal experience as a person with a disability.
- Excellent computer skills including the ability to learn new programs on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of people including consumers, media and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent public speaking skills, the ability to present information in clear and articulate, logical and organized manner.
- Critical thinking and ability to develop advocacy strategies and break into manageable steps for others.
- BA or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual-bicultural strongly preferred.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodation provided on request to persons with disabilities in the application and interview process as well as in employment.
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is wheelchair accessible and provides reasonable accommodations on request, including ASL interpreters and print information in alternative formats. CID is a scent free office in order to be fully accessible to all persons with disabilities. Please do not wear any scented products including perfumes, aftershave, hairspray, etc. to any meetings, groups, or workshops held at or by CID.
Please submit your resume to [email protected]
if interested in applying for the position.