Project Coordinator Posted on June 8, 2020
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities
San Mateo, CA
Position Summary for Project Coordinator
Salary: Depending on Experience
Location: San Mateo, CA
Description: Under general supervision of the Program Manager, the Project Coordinator coordinates all activities and functions of the emergency management program to ensure the goals and objects specified for the program are accomplished in accordance with established priorities, timeframes, funding limitations, and other specifications.
About Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities
The Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is: a private, nonprofit corporation located in San Mateo, California. Incorporated in 1979, CID is a consumer-driven, community-based, services and advocacy organization serving San Mateo County. By federal mandate, the majority of our Staff, Management, and Board of Directors consist of people with disabilities.
CID is one of 29 Independent Living Centers in the State of California and 424 Independent Living Centers in the United States. We are affiliated with other ILCs through our membership and participation in the California Foundation of Independent Living Centers and the National Council of Independent Living. CID is affiliated with other nonprofit agencies through our membership in the California Association of Non-Profits.
• Complete needs assessments for individuals with Access and Functional Needs (AFN) for preparation before and during Public Safety Power Shutoffs and maintain a list of individuals who require electricity to power devices.
• Assist consumers with the creation of individual emergency plans.
• Coordinate resources such as hotel reservations, food vouchers, back up batteries to individuals with AFN during Public Safety Power Shutoffs.
• Maintain an inventory of batteries and deploy to consumers during an emergency shut-off.
• Serve as primary contact during an emergency shut-off situation. Be able to respond to consumer requests quickly during a power shut off situation.
• Conduct community outreach via in person and online platforms to spread awareness about the PG&E Medical Baseline Program and the Disability Disaster Access and Resources program
• Provide community presentations on emergency preparedness topics
• Build relationships and collaborate with community agencies, such as local CERT, first responders, volunteer networks.
• Coordinate volunteer program for emergency events.
• Grant reporting to management and funders
• Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
• Two years' experience preferred in the areas of project management, emergency preparedness, public administration, adult education training or closely related areas. Relevant job, volunteer or previous internship experience; Field experience in a public safety discipline
• At least 2 years experience in social services or advocacy setting preferably working with persons with disabilities.
• Must be willing to travel to work and various locations in San Mateo County, and other locations for program and meeting related events.
• Must be highly motivated, customer focused and work well in a team environment. Must be able to be a self-starter and solutions-orientated worker.
• Good oral and written communication skills essential; ability to make presentation before both small and large audiences; can follow directions; ability to use word processing and presentation programs such as Power Point.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, communicate effectively both orally and written and provide empathy in difficult interpersonal situations.
• Under emergency and/or disaster conditions individual might be asked to assist a client in situations where conditions are less than optimal such as when tensions and anxiety may be elevated.
• Must maintain valid driver's license and a satisfactory driving record. Ability to drive a vehicle; able to transport self to various client locations; able to lift large size object such as projectors, *
• Most work would be performed in an office. Occasional travel to consumer sites could be required. equipment, boxes, and storage bins, power batteries and move to alternate locations
• 7.5 hours daily average (sometimes unpredictable long hours); Monday-Friday with potential needs for weekends; - Must be willing to be on call 24-hours during emergency Public Safety Shut off Events.
• Demonstrated knowledge of independent living philosophy, ILC core services, significant issues affecting persons with disabilities and San Mateo human service agencies.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of people including funders, consumers, media, human service agencies and government entities.
• Excellent public speaking skills, the ability to present information in a clear, articulate, logical and organized manner.
• Bilingual-bicultural strongly preferred.
All staff at CID are responsible for adhering to the codes of conduct outlined in the Employee Handbook.
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodation provided on request to persons with disabilities in the application and interview process as well as in employment.
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities (CID) is wheelchair accessible and provides reasonable accommodations on request, including ASL interpreters and print information in alternative formats. CID is a scent free office in order to be fully accessible to all persons with disabilities. Please do not wear any scented products including perfumes, aftershave, hairspray, etc. to any meetings, groups, or workshops held at or by CID.
How to Apply
More Employment Opportunities in the CFILC Network:Public Policy Analyst Sacramento, CA Posted June 12, 2020 Deputy Director Sacramento, CA Posted June 12, 2020 Device Lending & Demonstration Centers Manager Sacramento, CA Posted June 12, 2020 Communications & Marketing Manager Sacramento, CA Posted June 12, 2020 Project Coordinator San Mateo, CA Posted June 8, 2020 Return to Jobs page