Youth Organizer Posted on August 29, 2018
California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC)
Position Summary for Youth Organizer
Status: Non-Exempt with benefits
Salary: $13.50 - $16.50 /hr DOE
Location: Sacramento, CA
Description: Under the direction of the Program Director, this position is responsible for connecting youth with disabilities statewide through our Youth Organizing Disabled and Proud. The Youth Organizer will develop virtual and in-person organizing strategies, host meetings and events to provide opportunities for youth leadership, volunteerism, self-advocacy skill building and other opportunities that may lead to independence, higher-education or employment for youth. Other responsibilities include collaborating with the DOnetwork, assisting in social media postings, writing and recruiting YO! blog contributors, developing youth-friendly materials, providing peer support, moderating statewide youth listservs, organizing and tracking campaign activities. The Youth Organizer also provides youth program support to Independent Living Centers and is expected to travel across California.
About California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC)
CFILC is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. CFILC provides reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Please notify us if you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process.
About the Program
The California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC), Youth Organizing (YO!) Disabled & Proud program calls to action youth with disabilities ages 16 - 28, allies and youth professionals across California. Through community organizing, education, training, leadership development and volunteerism YO! strives to create a community where youth with disabilities get to know disability culture, understand their value and become civically engaged. YO! also provides a peer-to-peer communication network that allows youth to learn from each other, adult role models and mentors with disabilities. The program provides both virtual and in-person youth organizing and volunteer opportunities statewide.
• Lead the CFILC's Youth Organizing! Disabled & Proud program.
• Organize and facilitate youth with disabilities across California on issues that impact their lives.
• Facilitate and support YO! Youth Advisory Council.
• Organize and assist in planning events that are youth led and youth driven. Such as summits, community forums, trainings and leadership events.
• Provide support to the Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities (YLF) planning and weeklong program.
• Coordinate community organizing activities with YO! Volunteer Corps and DOnetwork.
• Responsible for answering and tracking YO! Hotline calls.
• Collect and track data for monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
• Experienced in leading teleconference meetings and webinars.
• Assist with keeping YO! Disabled & Proud website and social media platforms up-to-date.
• Organize, lead and track community organizing campaign goals and activities.
• Ability to mobilize youth with disabilities to activities and events.
• Provide technical assistance to Independent Living Centers, youth organizations, disability organizations and educators.
• Ability to provide trainings and information at meetings, conferences, summits and schools.
• Ability to motivate, communicate and follow-through with projects and daily responsibilities.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
A High School Diploma or General Educational Equivalent and at least one year experience in the disability community OR three years experience in disability organizing.
• The qualifications listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and ability desired. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines with minimal support;
• Experience with diverse, intersectional and marginalized communities;
• Must possess high-level computer word processing and computer communications skills;
• Strong ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people and communities;
• Must be able to communicate with youth and adults over the phone, email, social media and in-person;
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality;
• Ability to write a professional letter, create youth-friendly fact sheets, action alerts, collect and organize report material;
• Ability to work with others and take leadership roles on projects;
• Knowledge of concepts and philosophy of independent living, history of disability rights and consumer empowerment;
• Ability to define problems, collect and establish facts;
• Experience in using a variety of social media platforms for community organizing purposes;
• Ability to travel as needed throughout California and occasionally out of state;
• Ability to arrange necessary transportation must be maintained throughout employment.
Personal experience with a disability;
Experience working with people with disabilities;
Familiarity with disability rights issues.
The noise level of the office working condition is medium - high with travel mostly within the State of California.
Moderate - High
How to Apply
Applicants must email a cover letter and resume to:
Email Address: email@example.com
Subject Line Title: Youth Organizer
NO PHONE CALLS OR FAXES WILL BE ACCEPTED
More Employment Opportunities in the CFILC Network:Program Director Sacramento, CA Posted November 17, 2018 Information & Advocacy Specialist Sacramento, CA Posted November 7, 2018 Administrative Assistant Salinas, CA Posted October 11, 2018 Case Manager Santa Cruz County Posted October 11, 2018 Program Manager Grass Valley and Marysville Office Posted October 11, 2018 Youth Transition Specialist Grass Valley, CA Posted October 11, 2018 Independent Living Transition Coordinator Grass Valley or Marysville Office Posted October 11, 2018 YOLO Independent Living Specialist Sacramento, CA Posted October 2, 2018 Return to Jobs page