Executive Director Posted on November 2, 2017
Resources for Independent Living
Position Summary for Executive Director
Salary: $75,000/yr and up D.O.E.
Location: Sacramento, CA
Description: The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors and will implement the Board's policies and directives. The Executive Director is in charge of the operation and coordination of ongoing programs provided by RIL and overall supervision of all staff. The Executive Director is responsible for fund raising, including grant writing, budgeting, planning and coordination with community agencies.
About Resources for Independent Living
The mission of RIL is to promote the socio-economic independence of persons with disabilities by providing peer-supported, consumer-directed independent living services and advocacy. The focus of RIL is that freedom to make choices and the ability to live safely in the community are basic rights all people have, regardless of disability or age.
• Leads the organization, consistent with the RIL mission, vision and goals, in partnership with the Board of Directors
• Manages staff, budget and facility, including day-to-day operations and development and implementation of the RIL organizational structure
• Proposes, plans, and oversees specific program objectives to implement directives and policies, as well as budgets that support such activities
• Implements, directly and/or through staff, RIL strategic and operational goals and objectives, including operation and evaluation of the assistive technology program
• Primary spokesperson for RIL and official representative to the media
• Solicits and submits grant proposals for current and additional program components, special projects and ongoing organizational support
• Negotiates and enters into contracts with funding sources for capital and operating funds to achieve program goals
• Organizes and attends Board of Directors meetings, staff meetings, community trainings and/or consumer group meetings, as necessary
• Engages in systems advocacy; encourages consumer involvement in systems advocacy and quality assurance measures
• Performs direct consumer services such as general and personal advocacy as necessary
Required Education and Experience
• B.A. or equivalent experience
• Paid or volunteer experience in a service delivery or advocacy organization for the disabled
• Excellent communication skills in relating to a wide spectrum of socio-economic communities from the most disadvantaged (homeless and nstitutionalized) to the most privileged in our society (doctors, elected officials, corporate executives).
• Management experience in working with personnel, developing budgets and grants accountability
• Previous work experience in the independent living movement or closely related civil rights effort will be essential in assuring that the program services at RIL do not drift toward a medical or social work model, including a demonstrated commitment to consumer empowerment
• Skilled in advocacy issues and benefits relating to the core independent living services (Advocacy, Peer Counseling, Information and Referral, Housing, Personal Assistant Referral, and Assistive Technology)
• Demonstrated experience in soliciting public and private grants, including experience with large foundations
• Special events production, individual donor solicitation, and/or direct mail fundraising experience
• Masters degree or higher; fluency in English and languages such as Spanish or American Sign Language
• Flexibility with scheduling requirements to attend functions outside of regular office hours; willing to become resident of the greater Sacramento metropolitan area
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 17, 2017 5:00PM
How to Apply
Submit resume, references and a cover letter to RIL Executive Director Search
Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or
15320 Wolf Ridge Court,
Grass Valley, CA 95949
Do not call or send application materials to RIL office address.
More Employment Opportunities in the CFILC Network:Graphic & Web Designer Sacramento, CA Posted March 13, 2018 Information & Advocacy Specialist Sacramento, CA Posted February 26, 2018 Return to Jobs page