Statewide Community Organizer Posted on May 15, 2017
California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC)
Position Summary for Statewide Community Organizer
Salary: $44,000 - $49,000 D.O.E.
Location: Sacramento, CA
Description: CFILC is seeking an experienced Statewide Community Organizer. This position is under the supervision of the Deputy Director. The Statewide Community Organizer trains and supports local organizers in the Disability Organizing Network, DONetwork. This is a key statewide position in the CFILC Systems Change grant. The Statewide Community Organizer provides leadership in organizing strategic, tactical and agreed upon methods of organizing on national, state, regional and local issues to create systemic change. The Statewide Community Organizer works with the Systems Change/Community Organizing Staff located at each of the 28 ILCs as well as disability community volunteers, coalitions, allies and disability organizational partners. This position requires extensive travel throughout California and occasionally out of state. This position is responsible to prepare program reports for funders and external communications using a variety of methods.
About California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC)
CFILC is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. CFILC provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us.
About the Program:
The Disability Organizing Network calls to action the California Disability Communities and allies through community organizing, advocacy, education, training, leadership development and coalition building to affect systems change on local, regional, state and national issues. The CFILC DONetwork is a statewide disability advocacy program made up of 28 Independent Living Centers and the communities we serve.
• Assist in building grassroots advocacy groups through local communities, the 28 ILCs and CFILC led coalitions;
• Ability to develop social media advocacy strategies that supports organizing and advocacy campaigns;
• Arrange opportunities for leaders, organizers and staff to meet and further issue based organizing agenda;
• Ability to coordinate and work with other disability organizations and groups on shared interest campaigns;
• Build coalitions with other cross disability groups, nonprofit organizations, churches, social justice and civil rights groups as well as others that could become our natural allies;
• Organize regional and statewide community organizing summits;
• Develop and maintain social media campaigns on multiple platforms;
• Organize and support the Disability Action Coalition;
• Ability to mentor and supervise Youth Organizer and volunteers;
• Work in collaboration with other CFILC programs to build campaigns that further disability rights and the independent living philosophy.
Training, mentoring and technical assistance:
• Conduct and coordinate community organizing training sessions and workshops on a wide variety of topics including: power analysis, using the media as an organizing tool, strategy and tactic analysis, coalition building, developing leadership in groups, building social media campaigns, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
• Provide mentoring and support to community organizers, systems change advocates, volunteers and community members in the DONetwork;
• Assist Systems Change Advocates and Community Organizers in the development of their annual systems change advocacy plans;
• Provide training and assistance in building grass roots advocacy groups.
• Work in coordination with CFILC Management to prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
• Track, evaluate and report on all community organizing events and campaigns;
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in political science, human services, social work, community organizing or a related field, and minimum of three years in community organizing, training and leadership development activities OR a combination of five years experience in disability advocacy, training and community organizing activities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and ability desired. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines;
• Ability to effectively train systems change advocates and organizers on advocacy, social change, social media tools, leadership development and coalition/advocacy building;
• Must be comfortable giving presentations and public speaking;
• Ability to delegate responsibilities and monitor completion of tasks;
• Possess high-level computer word processing and computer communications skills;
• Strong ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people and communities;
• Excellent writing skills including the ability to collect and organize report material and translate its content and data into clear, accessible language;
• Knowledge of concepts and philosophy of independent living, history of disability rights and consumer empowerment;
• Knowledge of public policy processes on local, state and federal levels;
• Strong knowledge of community organizing and training concepts;
• Ability to travel as needed throughout California;
• Ability to arrange necessary transportation must be maintained throughout employment.
• Bilingual English/Spanish;
• Personal experience with a disability;
• Experience working with people with disabilities;
• Familiarity with disability issues;
• Knowledge of/or experience with California political process.
The noise level of the office working condition is medium with travel mostly within the State of California.
How to Apply
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line Title: Statewide Community Organizer
No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.
More Employment Opportunities in the CFILC Network:Program Director Sacramento, CA Posted July 14, 2017 IL Coordinator - Assistive Technology / Device Lending Library (DLL) Hayward, CA Posted July 14, 2017 Director of Programs San Jose, CA Posted June 22, 2017 Return to Jobs page